Dementia NI is facilitating a Short Breaks scheme to support people living with dementia and their informal carers /family.
Who can benefit from the scheme?
• A person with a diagnosis of dementia and their family/friend.
• The nominated informal carer / family carer of a person with dementia and a guest.
• A Dementia NI member
What are the benefits?
An overnight stay in one of the participating hotels specified on the list including breakfast. Only ONE room can be booked under this scheme.
Who can apply for a short break?
• A person with a diagnosis of dementia can apply.
• An informal/family carer cannot apply themselves. They must be nominated by the person they care for, or by a Health and Social Care professional.
Can eligible participants take their breaks separately?
• If you are a current member of Dementia NI, this may be an option for you to attend on your own without a family member (at most participating hotels). Please discuss this with the Programme Manager.
• If you are being referred from outside Dementia NI, then a person with a diagnosis of dementia must be accompanied by a friend/family member.
• An informal carer can go on their own, or with a partner/friend. However, the form must be signed by a member of staff from one of the Health and Social Care Trusts or a GP for any non-Dementia NI members.
If you would like more information about the Short Breaks Programme, please contact Lauren Rea at our Head Office on 028 96 931 555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please note, that anyone who has received a short break on the previous programme will not be eligible for another break at this time. *
How do I apply?
1. REGISTER for the scheme by completing and returning the application form.
a. Choose a hotel for your break
b. Complete a Short Break Scheme registration form
c. Give the form to your Healthcare Professional (Non-Dementia NI Members only)
d. Please post the forms to Dementia NI Head Office Address
What happens next?
• Places on the scheme are limited. Once we receive your form at Dementia NI, we will contact you by letter or email to let you know if a short break is still available.
• The breaks are offered on a first come, first served basis. We will also operate a waiting list in case of any cancellations.
• If your application is successful, we will send you the instructions for booking your short break at your chosen hotel. You can then contact the hotel to organise your break following the instructions on your confirmation letter. Please do not book a break before you receive a confirmation letter.
• You then contact the hotel and make your booking. Get in touch with the hotel as early as you can to avoid disappointment. Please book your break as soon as possible.
• You have 4 weeks from the date of the confirmation letter to book your stay. If it hasn’t been booked by then we will assume you no longer want the space so the break will be offered to another person.
• IMPORTANT – If you no longer wish to book a break, please contact Lauren Rea (Dementia NI) as soon as possible. We anticipate the Short Breaks will be in high demand and we will be able to offer this place to someone else.
Will travel be provided to and from the hotel?
No, travel is NOT included in the Short Break programme. You will need to make your own travel arrangements.
Is a short break guaranteed?
No. Short breaks are offered subject to availability to people who are eligible to join the scheme.
You must read and accept the Terms and Conditions below:
Terms and Conditions
• All bookings are subject to availability at the selected hotel.
• Dementia NI will not be liable for cancelled bookings.
• Dementia NI will not cover transport costs to and from the hotel.
• Dementia NI cannot cover respite services if a family member is going alone.
• Dementia NI will not accept liability for incidents or accidents which occur during the stay at the hotel.
• Dementia NI is not a travel agent and is not acting as a travel agent. Dementia NI does not receive any benefits or payments from the chosen hotels for facilitating these opportunities.
• Any additional costs must be covered by guests.
• You agree to abide by your chosen hotel’s cancellation policy. In the event of the hotel having to cancel your stay due to Covid-19, you will still be able to take your break, but you may be asked to postpone and select a different date, as per the terms and conditions of your selected hotel at that time.
• All short breaks must be requested from your chosen hotel within 4 weeks of the date of your confirmation letter, but can be taken any time up until 31st December 2021 (Subject to availability and terms of the hotel selected)
• If you fail to book your break within 4 weeks of the date of the confirmation letter, you will no longer be eligible for the break.
• Please check with the hotel directly before your selected check in date, either online or by phone, for any Covid-19 updates and further instructions regarding any special restrictions and rules.
• Dementia NI cannot guarantee that all the hotel’s advertised facilities will be available during your stay due to the Covid-19 restrictions. Please contact the hotel directly for more information.
• If you took part in the short breaks programme in the past, you may not be offered a break this time, as new applicants will be offered in the first instance. This also applies to Dementia NI Members.
• Please note, some hotels are only able to offer mid-week breaks. These restrictions will be specified in your confirmation letter.
• Please retain the terms and conditions for your records.
• Due to the constantly changing situation with Covid-19, Dementia NI cannot guarantee your health and welfare if you stay at a hotel. This is at your own risk. All hotels will have their own safety measures in place. Please check with the hotel directly before your selected check in date either online or by phone for any Covid-19 updates and further instructions regarding any special restrictions and rules.
*** Due to current COVID restrictions, please contact Dementia NI for latest updated information regarding the Short Break Programme. ***